Saturday, August 10, 2013

We're Jammin'

One of the best parts of summer... fresh berries! We have generous friends who live nearby and have amazing, heavenly berry patches. I should've gotten a picture. They're overflowing with berries and invited us to come pick some. We ended up with 3 gallons of raspberries in maybe an hour of picking. Usually I'm a freeze-my-berries kind of girl, but they suggested canning them in a maple syrup/water mixture.
We used a ratio of 1C. maple syrup (that we made) to 2C. water. They also suggested a steam canner. I wish I would've gotten one of these sooner, there's a lot less extra steps than normal hot water bath canning.

The steps I used for canning:
  • wash and pick through your berries, wash your jars and lids
  • pack the berries into jars
  • mix your syrup mixture, put it on the stove to get hot, pour it over the berries
  • put lids on and put in steamer (the steamer has a top you put over the jars)
  • put your burner on Med. High. Once it starts steaming, set your timer for 20 min. After the time is done, let the jars sit for a couple minutes, then take out.
   
steamer before 
steamer after 

While the berries were steaming I started on the Jam. I LOVE using Pomona's Universal Pectin in replace of other pectin brands. I use honey as the sweetener instead of massive amounts of sugar and it turns out delicious! I follow the recipe on the box.

At the end of the day, I ended up with 7 pints of berries in syrup and 12-12 oz. jars, 1 pint and 1-1/2 pint of jam!

And while I was working on the raspberries, hubby had this wonderful job... Taking the kitchen floor out which consisted of laminate, plywood screwed every 4 inches, tile, then felt paper on the bottom. But when this is done, most of the demo is done and rebuilding begins!


2 comments:

  1. Yeesh! That was quite the job, poor Ryan! At least jam to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You guys are CRAZY! All that work looks like it will really pay off though. What a great experience. Keep on living the dream! We just started canning, jamming, and freezing last year; the rewards are priceless in late winter. I'll have to get down there for a tour of the homestead before the snow comes...

    ReplyDelete